TransTrack Solutions Group came to us looking for help. Their primary goal was to expand their transportation client base of their host of data management solutions. Although their one-of-a-kind web-based SaaS solution had helped them grow at a rapid pace, their digital presence was underwhelming and not contributing to their growth. They were looking for help modernizing their software stack and advising on their best route forward.
Their small sales team was struggling to manage opportunities effectively. They were using Sugar CRM without much success. Their data was a mess, their sales process was far too manual, and they were having a hard time adapting their unique pipeline within Sugar's restrictive customization parameters. The team was willing to adopt new technology but was concerned that they would move into a CRM that was equally restrictive and even less familiar.
After several meetings to learn more, assess their existing environment, and review a plan of attack we were hired to help them move into HubSpot CRM & Sales. We kicked off the engagement with team introductions and objectives review, then set to work supporting their team as they migrated into the world's most powerful sales software, HubSpot.
Goal: Move from Sugar CRM to HubSpot CRM
Services Provided: HubSpot Onboarding, CRM Configuration, Data Migration, Training
HubSpot License: Sales Pro
Timeline: 60 days
The project consisted of three elements: onboarding, CRM configuration, data migration, and team training. We understood that their team needed to be up and running in HubSpot's CRM before their Sugar license expired. This gave just over 60 days from kickoff to project completion. Here's how we tackled the job:
We have a dedicated HubSpot Success team that specializes in HubSpot Onboarding. We offer a host of related services and products to help new customers get comfortable working in HubSpot. Our HubSpot Success Managers are Master Training Certified by HubSpot themselves, ensuring they have a well-rounded and complete understanding of their new HubSpot license. We introduced Kelly and Dave to their dedicated HSM and set forth completing the following steps.
- Step 1: Global License Configuration: We offer to pick up all the initial settings and global configurations on new portals. We started with a workbook to ensure we had the proper branding elements, then jumped in to set up the CRM and Sales Pro features to ensure their instance was ready for customization.
- Step 2: HubSpot Software Training: We held two calls to train the TransTrack sales team on to operate inside HubSpot CRM and how all the Sales Protools worked. This training element fulfilled the requirements by HubSpot to allow for waiving their onboarding consulting fees.
Here's a short video with more about onboarding
To further customize their HubSpot CRM experience we worked through a project to configure based on their unique sales process. This included the following configuration:
Setup lifecycle stage automation from qualification parameters
Build internal system workflows around internal notifications, data management, funnel pressure
Custom properties for contacts, companies, and deals records
Customized Lead Source Contact properties
Customized Lead Status Contact properties
Lead routing mechanism
Universal form system
Marketing vs Non-marketing contact configuration
Pipeline Stage customization
Entry/exit criteria for Deals Pipeline
Customization of records on the left rail of the CRM
Customization of cards on the right rail of the CRM
Set up Goals for sales team members
User & Role setup
Sales reporting dashboard to measure activity and performance
Sugar CRM Data Migration
This was by far the most critical step of the process and where we used our secret weapon. Our ability to migrate both hard and soft data out of Sugar CRM was critical for the success of the project.
- Step 1: HubSpot Field Mapping: We started with an audit of the existing Sugar CRM environment to identify all required fields for migration. Then we configured HubSpot to match, ensuring the ability to migrate successfully.
- Step 2: Data Migration: We migrated all earmarked data out of Sugar CRM and into HubSpot. Our team was able to successfully port the data directly into the proper fields while maintaining data associations between objects. The entities we were able to migrate include:
- The complete history of 7,980 contacts, company, and deal records
- Included moving 3,422 companies, 4,239 contacts, and 319 deals
- All notes, meetings, calls, tasks, emails, pipelines, properties, and record owners
- All attachments, product objects, and product line items
- The complete history of 7,980 contacts, company, and deal records
- Step 3: Validation and Testing: We reviewed the migrated data together, ensuring accuracy. Everything checked out, the data was successfully moved into HubSpot in the proper fields.
- Step 4: Delta migration for net new data: To finish the migration we ran a final migration to pick up all net new data and move it into HubSpot for go-live before marking the project complete.
Here's a short video with more about data migration
Training The Sales Team
Our training methodology also aligns closely with HubSpot. We've adopted their preferred method of Change Management, ADKAR. We customize training curriculums to build awareness, create desire, develop knowledge, foster ability, and reinforce change and adoption. We'll plan a phase beyond this project that focuses on reinforcement specifically. For this project, we agreed to the following steps:
- Step 1: CRM Tour: We started with our primary contact Dave Jackson as our internal champion. As the sales leader, it was important for him to understand how HubSpot CRM was built to meet his team's needs. We rolled out the CRM to his sales team of 3 members a few days later with a Zoom meeting to tour the entire system.
- Step 2: Role-Based Training: Our next step was to host two follow-up training sessions with the sales team to answer questions and provide support. Each session included preparation assignments, including content to cover, resources, and desired impact. Aligning team training based on priorities and feedback is key to successful adoption, which is why we customize training sessions for impact.
- Step 3: Documentation: We were also careful to document the CRM procedures. We created a library of training resources for refreshers, references, and new employee onboarding. All documentation and training videos were labeled and filed inside their HubSpot file manager for fast reference.
"Going from Sugar CRM to HubSpot CRM & Sales has enabled better communication and clarity from our team on our bookings each month. The new HubSpot system is much better integrated than our prior CRM, providing much better visibility into all sales activities."
- Dave Jackson, General Manager. TransTrack Solutions Group
Next Up - Inbound Marketing
TransTrack had larger goals for their migration into HubSpot. While this project was taking place we were also putting together their entire digital growth strategy. The addition of HubSpot's Marketing Pro Hub enabled us to build an integrated marketing plan for lead generation for the sales team. For the first time in its history, they were set to invest in its digital presence and generate ne